Newtown RFC | Under 15s 31 - 19 Rhyl and District RFC | Under 15s
George Jones
1 Try
Owen Reece-jones
1 Try
Callum Gardener
2 Conversion
1 Try

Match Report
15 January 2018 / Team News

Newtown Challenge for U15's

Having never played Newtown it was into the unknown for Rhyl U15's however a little research and their reputation Newtown was going to be a very tough challenge.
After making the long journey south there must have been some tiredness set into the Rhyl players as Newtown came out of the tracks firing with Rhyl missing straight forward and important tackles and going in too high allowing to be handed off too easily.  Newtown ran in 2 early tries before Rhyl realised they were playing a rugby match.
Rhyl stepped up the intensity and started to slowly settle into the game although Newtown again ran in another 2 tries before half time to make it 24 - 0 at the break.
After a possitive team talk and a few changes to their defensive tactics Rhyl came out looking to correct their first half errors and react in a big way.
Rhyl stepped up the passion, aggression and skill set in the 2nd half and worked tirelessly to keep the ball away from the home side.
Winger Owen Reece Jones ran in a try in the corner which spurred the visitors on.  Defensively Rhyl were outstanding with blitz defence working effectively forcing Newtown back inside to Rhyl's big hitters where Rhyl were waiting to turn over the at the breakdowns.
Full back George Jones ran in a try which came from excellent thinking and footwork from outside centre Kian McGregor breaking the defence line with quick ball out to the wings.
Callum Gardner kicked the conversion and also got on the score sheet with a try of his own, spotting a gap and putting on the burners and breaking 2 tackles to score under the posts for another easily conversion.
Newtown had their backs to the wall for the majority of the 2nd half mostly camping out in their own half with excellent breakdown battles, interesting line outs from both teams and some aggressive and strong tackles although in my eyes Newtown should have had 2 players shown atleast yellow cards for late tackles and 2 spear/tip tackles.
Rhyl almost got themselves another try through Captain Christian Hone although the ball was knocked on just at the line.
Hone was sent to the bin with 10 minutes to go but this just made Rhyl work harder for their team but didnt manage to pull back Newtown's early scores.
The match finished 31 - 19 to Newtown but the most pleasing aspect was Rhyl's 2nds half performance to fight back and react to poor 1st half.
Best half played out of the whole season so far.  Not the result we wanted but so many possitives and it's good to see everyone playing as a team with passion and working for each other but next time do it from the beginning please .
MOTM: Owen Reece Jones
Well Done Everyone

Access to player list for this team is restricted. To view the player list you must be logged in and request access.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos